STAFF ACCOUNTANT - Part-Time – 25 hours per week
Please do not apply if you do not meet the minimum qualifications:
Bachelor’s Degree | Nonprofit Accounting Experience | Excel and QuickBooks expert.
The Staff Accountant is a new position at HUMAA and will be an essential member of a small, but highly focused team.
This talented professional has a strong work ethic, is a resourceful problem solver, is committed to compliance and financial processes, and can work effectively with teams and is willing to embrace HUMAA’s mission. He/she is not afraid to roll up their sleeves, believes in continuous learning, and has experience in the non-profit sector.
The Staff Accountant's responsibilities include maintaining financial records and reports, performing account reconciliations, and ensuring the timely closing of monthly books.
The successful candidate will also generate financial reports and analysis of business trends, follow up with membership dues, and communicate the current and accurate financial position to management and the Board of Directors. The individual must be detail-oriented, organized, and take initiative for process/reporting improvement. Ability to understand his or her audience to report meaningful information in a clear and concise manner is essential, as well as the ability to maintain complete confidentiality.
Staff Accountant Major Responsibilities:
• Manage syncing for QuickBooks add-on software, including downloading transactions from bank accounts, payroll, donor database, etc.
• Ensures timely entry of financial data to prepare and deliver month-end financials to the Executive Director by the 10th of the following month
• Record and manage all A/P and A/R
• Receives expense receipts and processes reimbursements.
• Performing monthly balance sheet reconciliations.
• Maintaining financial reports, records, and general ledger accounts.
• Preparing journal entries, analyses, and bank account reconciliations.
• Assisting with monthly close processes.
• Assist with creation and review of annual operating budget and performance projections
• Provides information for auditors
• Ensures compliance with GAAP
• Oversees processing payroll
• Tracks and presents monthly spending against approved budgets
• Maintains accounting controls by following policies and procedures.
• Assists with other duties or special projects as assigned by the Executive Director.
• Maintaining charitable organization registrations
• Schedules of budget & finance committee meetings
• Obtains bids from vendors
• Serve as a point of contact for vendor payments.
• Ensures compliance with federal, state, and local financial legal requirements
• Work with Treasurer and Board Committee Chair to create financial reports and presentations for meetings.
QUALIFICATIONS, KNOWLEDGE & SKILL REQUIRED:
• BS degree in Finance, Accounting or Business Administration
• Minimum of three (3) years of proven accounting work experience in a nonprofit and/or alumni association is required.
• Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) experience.
• Strong working knowledge of QuickBooks software required
• MS Office Suite with strong MS Excel skills
• Solid understanding of basic bookkeeping and accounting payable principles
• Proven ability to calculate, post and manage and maintain accounting reconciliation and roll-forward schedules
• Hands-on experience with spreadsheets and proprietary software
• Ability to prioritize, negotiate, and work with a variety of internal and external stakeholders
• Outstanding follow-up and prioritization
• Must be able available on several Saturdays a year, and a few evenings for Board and Committee meeting attendance.
• Must pass a criminal background check.
Please Forward your Resume and Statement of Interest (DOC or PDF format) WITH your hourly salary to email@example.com with “Staff Accountant” in Subject Line. Please also let us know your preferred virtual meeting format: Facetime or ZOOM. Thank you.
Due to the current pandemic, the following is our recruitment process.
1. Candidates who are selected we will invite to (1) a 15-30-minute telephone screening.
2. Applicants will be asked to complete a QuickBooks and Excel exercise.
3. Second-round applicants will be invited to a 30-minute Zoom (or Facetime) interview
4. A final determination will be made in mid-to-late May for an early June start providing we are able to return to our office safely.
No phone calls please. This position description should not be interpreted as all-inclusive. HUMAA is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer.